All Ratings and Reviews for James Ralston Jr
This professor did a very good job of explaining the material, and made it easy for everyone to learn. He did examples which were understandable, and even brought in paper he cut out to demonstrate objects in 3-D. He seems kinda weird at first because he gets chalk all over himself, but he was a great professor and I highly recommend him.
he's the best math teacher i've had in the department. he is clear, concise, specific, and deliberate in everything he teaches or touches upon. His tests can be tricky, and he has a tendancy to ask questions that make you stretch, or work around a problem. study the theorems, their proof's and the 'big picutre' of what they mean, more than likely theorems will appear on the test in disguise, be on the lookout. Ralston is good. Take him, and expect to learn things.
Ralston was an overall good professor. His lectures were easily understandable and he seemed to know exactly how to teach the class. He sort of even yelled at one of the other Math 32A professors because he was teaching his class something he shouldn't be spending his time on. The tests are comprehensive and predictable, and for my class, the quizzes were online which basically meant free points. Overall a decent professor. Nothing wrong with him.
I see this professor all the time when I walk through MS. He's always available. Math 33B is the easiest of the 30 series, although the 31s were easy. Class continues what was introduced in 31B. He stresses the theory of differential equations, which can be tricky but shouldn't be too bad if you really understand it. Only bad thing is there's no cheat sheet and the quizzes can be annoying and stressful.
Bleh. I thought this class was alright. Ralston is a pretty cool professor and explains things well if you can actually keep your focus on him, which can be hard cause he can kinda drone on. He's old and kinda silly but I don't mind. Second midterm crushed my soul but he curves a lot. Overall his tests can be pretty conceptual but his quizzes are more straightforward. I had X Yang as a TA and he basically explained the similar problems to those that were on the quiz before we took the quiz, which made them pretty easy. His accent was pretty ridiculous though.
im surprised to see people complain about his teaching style since i took him back in w'07. He was good and fair. One thing to note is that all the proof based stuff that's on the tests is explicitly covered in lecture, so don't be lazy and make sure you know the lecture material well and not just the book problems (random proofs from the book that he didn't cover in lecture never showed up on my tests, but this could have changed since i took him). Definitely the easiest math class of the 30 series (32B being the hardest) and probably the easiest class i've taken in college so far. Here's a gist of the class: recognize the form of an equation, identify what method you use to solve an equation of this form, then solve it (and also know the conceptual stuff he mentions in lecture). it's very simple and straightforward.
Professor Ralston is a adorable guy. He has the energy should not appear in his age. Extreme easy midterm but hard final. Exams relevant to the book and you dont even go to the lecture. The grading policy is fine as long as you get 80+ overall, your are guarantee a A-. I did every single problem from the book and got A in the end.
Selling Multivariable Calculus for 32A/B for 30 dollars. Used two quarters with some notes. In good condition. Email at email@example.com
The quizzes are 20%, make sure you do well on them. Two midterms are 30% in total and the final is 50%. I did really well on the first two midterms but got average on the final. I ended up with a B+...So make sure you study a lot for the final. Granted, his lectures can be boring sometimes, but he really care about his students. Go to his office hour if you feel like to. I would recommend him.
Ralston is a pretty good professor overall. After having a horrible professor for 32A, you learn to deal with what you get. Ralston's class wasn't hard, really. His quizzes are pretty fair. The first one he said he made "too easy" and the second one was "too hard", so he tried balancing it, which I think he did after the third quiz. I got a B in his class, which isn't the best grade, but in his syllabus he says the average grade is a B-, so that's pretty awesome. His hour exams, or midterms, weren't too hard. The first one everyone did extremely well. I got a 48/50. The second one, he tried making it a bit harder, and I got a 38/50, which was the average. His final, though, was hard as f***. The average was a 59%, and I got a 55%.
Overall, I think he was a good professor. Easy quizzes and midterms, hard final. He does a few examples during class but mostly proofs, so it isn't absolutely necessary to go to lecture.
Did this review contain...
Thank you for the report!
We'll look into this shortly.