Based on 7 Users
This class is a lot of work. You really need to put in a lot of time to do well in this class. You are not only learning one difficult language, but two dialects of it (Masri and Formal). Be careful because if you are taking other classes that require studying and have other time commitments (which you probably do), then really be careful about signing up for this class because it is A LOT of homework and busy work!
Class participation!!! 90% of class time is spent on partner activities to activate the language, and the other 10% of the time is her answering questions, clarifying grammar rules, and giving cultural information.
Personally, I hate speaking in front of people but the entire class is speaking and being corrected on their mistakes throughout so it makes it less intimidating.
Attendance is a MUST. If you miss five classes, you'll fail for the quarter no matter what your other work looks like, but she is lenient, though, and in EMERGENCY cases will allow you to attend another lecture time that same day for full credit.
She expects you to put in about 2 hours of work outside of class EVERY DAY and while learning the alphabet in Week 1-5 it's expected you do 3 hours of work. It is very noticeable when you don't take the time on the quizzes and when she randomly calls on you in class.
BUY THE BOOKS!!! The online access codes don't give you hardly any of the information you'll need to be successful.
Overall, it takes hard work (like any foreign language), time, and practice. She's always there if you need help and never makes you feel bad about asking a question, even if it's been asked ten times that class period. She truly wants you to succeed and is passionate about teaching it to you.
She was the best teacher I had during the fall quarter. I was amazed that I learned so much in such a short period of time. I really recommend this class to anyone interested in fulfilling their foreign language requirement. Lots of work but if you put in the time there is no doubt you'll get an A
Professor Azza is one of the best professors at UCLA, you can tell she really cares about her students learning. I really recommend this class as Arabic is a beautiful language and she is a great professor.