No grades are available.
Eisler was new to this course and did a fantastic job! She was crystal clear about expectations and really cared about student learning. Her homework was applicable directly to the test and nothing seemed like busy work. I've learned a lot from her class and would take her again as a professor in a heartbeat!
Eisler FTW. She's definitely an above average lecturer, but I think what made her class so great was the effort she puts into the administrative stuff and quality of life things she does for her students. It's her first year teaching, and she fucking killed it.
First, the detail/logistics of the class. Homework every week makes a whopping 20% of your grade... thankfully a lot is on Chegg. 2 Midterms make another 40. The final is 35. Semi-regular discussion quizzes make up another 5.
Eisler puts so much effort into the course. She has a tablet she projects to the board and writes on. Very visible, clear, easy to see. The best part? The notes she makes up in class are uploaded as PDFs to CCLE. That's a fucking godsend. You can closely follow the textbook (text is decent at teaching, but Eisler explains the stuff better) with the PDF notes to see exactly what was covered and what can be safely skipped in the book. Better yet, go to lecture. She's engaging, relaxed, and upbeat (not to mention a qt.) She was sick for a day and uploaded the lecture material we missed to CCLE to make up for it. It's always the mark of an excellent professor when that happens.
Material-wise, the class is on the difficult side, but nothing significantly harder than what you've done before. HEAVILY physics based. A bit of math (specifically differential equation math) but she makes it a point to test your understanding of fluid theory and its applications, not how well you can solve PDE's. As such, none of the math is difficult on the exams. More importantly... the stuff is actually interesting. It's not a boring class. If you're like me, this is the first time you'll feel like an engineer. Up to now, everything has been strictly theory. For the first time, you learn things that are clearly useful (how to apply pipe roughness to see how a fluid flow will change in a pipe, conditions needed for certain types of fluid flow, finding forces ANY fluid system generates or experiences... useful stuff!). Tests are very fair. Multiple choice makes 20% of it... the other 80% is typically 2-4 long problems (2hrs for the test). Questions want you to apply what you've known to some situation. It's not so much as "Prove the Navier-Stokes equation" as it is "Use Navier-Stokes equation to find an equation that describes the velocity of molasses in an inclined pipe." Still, know your theory, because the multiple choice leans more heavily on that. You won't be asked to derive the equation, but may be asked why a certain term was dropped in the derivations and what the significance of that is. Surprisingly, the multiple choice was always the hardest part of the test since there's no partial credit. You either know it or you don't.
You are VERY lucky to take Eisler if you can. 101A is notoriously difficult, but Eisler made it very approachable. I am not a good student by any means, but I did put a lot of effort into this class and it paid off. Everything you need to succeed is there, and then some. Hell, she put out a math refresher for solving PDE's for the homework. Overall, she's a professor that wants to give her students the quality education UCLA promises. That's rare. Even rarer, she succeeds in doing that. I wish Eisler taught everything. 5/5
This was her first class at UCLA, but she really cares about her students and the class saw improvements in every lecture.
She is very engaging, where she asks the class questions to the conversation going. Her tests can be a mix of hard and easy but most importantly: fair.
You will walk out of the class knowing the material.
On another note, she is very nice and willing to help. She seems to really enjoy teaching.
Did this review contain...
Thank you for the report!
We'll look into this shortly.