Based on 122 Users
Low Effort class. The topics were silly though not sure if I learned anything useful. Gave me some interesting perspective though and background behind design I’d seen before. Literally do the work and you’re good.
Is this an easy GE? Yes. Do you really learn anything? No. I really tried hard to pay attention in class, but being a 3hr lecture at 9am and the fact that the lights were dimmed, I slowly started to just do other work during lecture or sleep. There are three pop quizzes (lowest score is dropped) throughout the quarter, and attendance is taken either at the break or at the end of class. There's a midterm paper that is individual (it was about our opinion on if ornamentation is considered a crime), the "UCLA game" which is basically a scavenger hunt across campus with a group done instead of a midterm test, and a final group paper (this year we had to write about the design of a place we liked in Westwood). You will need to get the course reader because we have to use the readings in there as our sources for our essays. Huhtamo also used concepts from the readings in some quiz questions. If I paid more attention I would have gotten more out of the class, but it is easy to get an A without listening to lecture.
I am probably not the only one get offended when the professor characterize his lamp as "look like an Asian figure" because of the "eye shape." He could have been more sensitive given the amount of Asian students in his class.
I could go on and on about why I would never take this class again and why I would never reccommend this atrocious class to anyone, but in short:
- Huhtamo has probably the worst communication skills I have experienced from a professor
- not lenient towards any type of extensions (got an extremely rude email response back for asking for a ONE day extension because I was sick for an entire week)
- expensive textbook that is required, you cannot complete assignments or write essays without the ereader
- homework is just busywork (you could easily answer each question in at least three sentences but each question required a minimum of 100 words so you found yourself repeating yourself multiple times)
- usually I enjoy GEs, but this class drained every ounce of happiness from me
- it is extremeley boring (you would think a design class would be interesting and engaging but no, it's shocking what Huhtamo can do to you) I would honestly forget about this class a lot
- you would also think that since this class is focused on design they would design this class better
- only good thing is that it is an easy A
TLDR: DO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS... INSTEAD you should try PORTSGE 46 (actually interesting, engaging, you learn something useful, you don't waste a quarter, still an easy A)
This class was pretty easy but 3 hours is a long time to focus. Prof is really funny and the lecture is mostly interesting. There is a break in between where they take attendance. I didn't like how attendance required you to walk up to your TA and sign a paper. 300 people trying to do that at once was chaotic and horrible every time. Course reader is recommended but to be honest I stopped reading 3 weeks into the quarter. The 3 quizzes are the only thing that require knowledge of the course reader. It was also needed for the midterm paper and the final paper to source from. Midterm and final grading really depend on your TA but they tend to grade harsher on the midterm for sure. I got a B+ on the midterm but an A in the class. Overall an easy class, just a little annoying.
Selling my lightly used course reader for $20 (originally $40), email me at ************* if you're interested!
selling textbook for the class, message me- **********
the class was great, pretty easy and only met once a week which was nice. professor was funny and passionate about what he taught. truly enjoyed taking the class and learning from him- the quizzes were kinda tricky but didn't count for much of the grade anyway