Textbook listings are currently unavailable for this course.
No grades are available.
Fairly easy class. As mentioned by many people, the required reading is tediously long and absolutely pointless. All you need to do is memorize his lecture slides while focusing especially on mundane details such as site names, locations, and dates. The two papers are essentially summarizing and comparing/contrasting two articles on a specific topic.
Even though I ended up getting an A- this class stressed me out more than my upper division science classes. The information presented in class is not that difficult, but the amount of useless reading assigned is huge, discussion sections are mandatory and a waste of time and the papers are a waste of time, since you basically have to summarize archaeological articles. Brantingham posts lecture slides after the lecture, I think it would have been more useful to have them during lecture. Overall I would not recommend the class to my friends
Dr. B is very entertaining and enthusiastic about archaeology, and this clearly shows in his lectures. He is definitely better than the other prof who teaches the class, Dr. Smith. Do NOT read the book. Do memorize every slide. If you know the concepts of lecture you have an 80% on his exams. To get the other 20% you have to memorize many dates and places. As previously said, the papers are really easy; majority of the class gets an A on those. You'll earn your A in the class from knowing every date and place mentioned in lecture. Don't skip class either because he gives away test questions on low turnout days (ie day before thanksgiving). Good luck in the class and your future endeavors.
His a good teacher. Study the power points. Know dates and sites. The questions on both the midterm and final are very detailed questions. The papers are very easy.
Class is easy, just flash card the slides and study them. There are two papers in the class both only take about two hours to write each. Section is mandatory, but a waste of time. He has really good communication skills, but I wish he would of incorporated more interesting facts, but o well, just a GE.
Very interesting class, actually. One of the major advantages of this class compared to many anthro classes is that Dr. Brantingham posts all the powerpoint slides, and if you just listen to his lectures and study his slides very well, you will get and A for sure. Honestly, this class is not hard at all, I was taking Biochem153A (Bates) and EEB 130 along with this class and I still managed to get a B+ (I did not study hard for this class). Another thing to mention about this class is that he chooses the best TAs. Anyway, at the end you would learn a lot of interesting facts about the human past and get a very good grade. What else do you want?
He is the bomb... class is interesting and he is a really good proffesor, i learned alot... btw only study lecture slides
I loved his course! His lectures are actually interesting, and Professor Brantingham is a really nice, funny guy overall. He throws in bits of humor, and his research is really intriguing. It wasn't too difficult of a class, but definitely keep up on the readings and you'll do fine. All his notes are online, and definitely go to his office hours and talk to the TAs about your papers before they're due. They're short papers, but the topics are actually cool and if you have your TA review a rough draft, your grade should be fine. Brantingham is definitely a great anthro professor! I thoroughly enjoyed his class.
this is THE best professor I have had thus far. Brantingham is EXTREMELY approacheable, interested in student learning, organized and knowledgeable. outlines of his lecture are generally posted prior to class, and full slides are posted online after the lecture. The material is very very interesting as well, and I don't know what people are talking about when they say to not take this class as a GE because of the memorization; this class is EASY! brantingham is really lenient it seems with the grades; there are no curves, but that's good because i think 50% (at least )of the class gets an A on each assignment
What an amazing professor! What an amazing class! Do your work, go to class and you will do well. Don't listen to old reviews. These people never went to class and didn't put an effor to do well in the class. Professor Brantingham is very helpful, enthusiastic and has a very interesting class. Study and you will do well. Don't study and you won't do well. Thank you so much Professor Brantingham for such a wonderful class and experience.
Did this review contain...
Thank you for the report!
We'll look into this shortly.